Now Reading
Q&A about the new immigration law in Hungary 7 – Work permit

Immigration. Business. News.
Everything about Hungary in one place. 

Q&A about the new immigration law in Hungary 7 – Work permit

In the seventh part of our FAQ series on the new Hungarian immigration law and its new regulations for foreigners in Hungary, we write about the new options available to third-country nationals who currently hold or have been planning to apply for a work permit. There are various options, mostly depending on the qualifications required for the job. Read on to find out more.

Click here to sign up for updates.

Some questions about work permit applications:

Is it true that you cannot apply for a work permit starting from 2024?

No, it is not true. Third-country nationals will still be able to apply for residency based on employment. However, this residency category is restructured, and applicants will have to choose from the following options:

  • Residence permit for seasonal employment
  • Residence permit issued for the purpose of implementing an investment (if you want to work at your own business or on specific investment projects)
  • Residence permit for the purpose of employment
  • Guest worker residence permit

Alternatively, you can also apply for a Hungarian Card or an EU Blue Card. If you have been a resident of Hungary for more than 3 years, permanent residency is also an option.

I work at a restaurant, which is considered unskilled work, and I have a work permit valid until the end of 2024. I also graduated from a Hungarian university. Will I be able to renew my residence permit?

Yes, you will be able to apply for a new work permit that will be a guest worker residence permit, even as an unskilled worker. The renewed permit will have a validity period of 1+2 years (meaning that you have to renew it after 1 year for an additional 2 years).

However, please note that family unification will not be available to you anymore (so you cannot bring your spouse and underage children to Hungary if they are not already here), and the work permit issued for unskilled jobs does not count towards permanent residency.

I have a work permit based on a white-collar job in Hungary. When my residency expires, should I apply for the Hungarian Card or the EU Blue Card instead?

While there has been some changes to residency based on employment, it is still an option both for skilled and unskilled workers. However, in light of the recent changes, the Hungarian Card (“Magyar Kártya”) and the EU Blue Card offer significant benefits.

Holders of both the Hungarian Card and the EU Blue Card are eligible for family unification, so their spouse and underage children can become Hungarian residents too. Moreover, after 3 years they become eligible for the National Residency Card (“Nemzeti Tartózkodási Kártya”), which is the equivalent of the previous national permanent residence permit.

It is important to note that both cards require high qualifications. The Hungarian Card can be issued for 3 years, and the EU Blue Card for up to 4 years.

Does the Hungarian Card offer an open work permit?

Same as the previous work permit, the Hungarian Card is tied to one specific employer. If you change employers, you will be required to apply for a new card.

Does the EU Blue Card offer an open work permit?

During the first 12 months of the validity period of the EU Blue Card, you can work only for the employer on which you based your application. After that, you are allowed to switch employers without applying for a new card.

If I am aiming for permanent residency (the National Residency Card), should I switch my current 2-year work permit for a Hungarian Card?

Your current work permit issued under the previous system will still count towards Hungarian permanent residency now represented by the National Residency Card. When your permit expires, it will make sense to apply for the Hungarian Card. After 3 years of residency, you will be apply for the National Residency Card.

Learn more with Helpers

The Helpers Team has been providing administrative assistance to expats in Hungary, and we work on making life easier for them. Follow our series to gain more insight and get clarifications about the new Hungarian immigration law as we navigate these shifts together.

The post Q&A about the new immigration law in Hungary 7 – Work permit appeared first on HELPERS.

Scroll To Top